Apple today released Swift Playgrounds 4. The latest version of the app lets you create apps for iPhone and iPad directly on an “iPad” without the need for a Mac.
Swift Playgrounds 4 includes App Store Connect integration to download an app directly from the App Store, as well as an app preview feature that shows real-time updates as you make changes.
Here are Apple’s release notes for the update:
- Create iPhone and iPad apps with SwiftUI, right on your iPad (requires iPadOS 15.2 or later);
- App Store Connect integration allows you to upload your completed app to the App Store;
- The app preview shows the changes you make to your app in real time;
- The full screen preview lets you see your app on the whole screen;
- Smart, built-in code suggestions let you write code quickly and accurately;
- App projects allow you to move projects to Xcode and vice versa;
- Searching within the project finds results in multiple files;
- The Snippet Library offers hundreds of SwiftUI commands, symbols and colors;
- Support for Swift packages allows you to add public code to enhance your apps.
Designing and loading an app on iPad requires an update to iPadOS 15.2 which was released earlier this week. Swift Playgrounds can be downloaded for free from the App Store.
Apple also released Swift Playgrounds 4 for Mac, with support for Swift 5.5.