Apple’s new Display Studio enables the “Hey Siri” voice command on several older Macs that don’t natively support this feature.
For example, while “Hey Siri” normally requires a MacBook Pro released in 2018 or later, the feature can be used on 2016 and 2017 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models if the laptop is connected to a Studio Display . Likewise, the feature normally requires an iMac released in 2020 or later, but can now be used on 21.5 and 27-inch iMac models released in 2017-2019 when connected to the new Apple display.
The Studio Display also enables “Hey Siri” on desktop Macs that did not natively support this feature, including the 2019 Mac Pro and 2018 Mac mini.
“Hey Siri” is actually one of many features powered by the A13 Bionic chip built into the Studio Display, along with, for example, the camera’s Space Audio and Center Stage function.
Here is the complete list of Macs compatible with Studio Display on macOS Monterey 12.3 or later:
- mac studio
- 14-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2021
- 16-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2019 or later
- 13-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
- 15-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
- MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
- iMac introduced in 2017 or later
- iMac Pro
- Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
- Mac Pro introduced in 2019
The new Studio Display is on sale from 1,799 euros. Additional configuration options, including different mounts and nano-textured glass, are available on Apple’s site.