After iOS 15.2, Apple now offers the final version of macOS 12.1 to all users with a compatible machine.
Here are all the new features announced by Apple:
With macOS Monterey 12.1, enjoy SharePlay, a whole new way to experience shared experiences with family and friends in FaceTime. This update also includes support for the Apple Music Voice subscription, digital legacy program, redesigned Memories albums in Photos, and other features and fixes for your Mac.
- SharePlay is a new way to share experiences synced in FaceTime with content from the Apple TV app, Apple Music, and other supported apps.
- Shared controls allow everyone to pause or start playback, or to rewind or fast forward.
- Smart volume control automatically mutes the sound of a movie, TV show, or song when you or your friends are talking.
- Screen sharing allows participants in a FaceTime call to view photos, browse the web, and help each other.
Apple Music Voice subscription
- Apple Music Voice is a new subscription plan that provides access to all Apple Music songs, playlists and stations using Siri.
- The “Ask Siri” feature suggests songs based on your listening history and what you like and dislike.
- “Listen Again” allows you to access a list of recently played songs.
- Memories albums have been redesigned with a new interactive interface, new animation and transition styles, as well as multiple photo collages.
- New types of keepsakes are on offer including other international holidays, children’s themed keepsakes, trends seen over time, and enhanced pet keepsakes.
- Digital inheritance allows you to designate people as legatee contacts who will be able to access your iCloud account and your personal data in the event of death.
- The Store tab lets you browse, buy, and rent movies and TV shows all in one place.
This release also brings the following enhancements for your Mac:
- The “Hide My Email Address” feature is available in the Mail app for iCloud + subscribers so they can create unique, random email addresses.
- The Stocks app allows you to display the currency of a display and see the performance since the start of the year when viewing the charts.
- The Reminders and Notes apps now allow you to delete or rename tags.
This version also brings fixes for your Mac:
- Desktop and screen saver images might not appear after selecting photos from the library.
- The trackpad could stop responding to touches or clicks.
- External monitors might not charge some MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs when connected via Thunderbolt or USB-C cable.
- Playing HDR videos on YouTube.com could lead to serious error on 2021 MacBook Pros.
- Menu bar add-ins could be hidden by the camera notch on the 2021 MacBook Pros.
- The MagSafe charger could stop charging 2021 16-inch MacBook Pros when the cover was closed and the system was turned off.