the Disney + streaming service will only be available in France from March 31, 2020. For the moment it is officially only possible to access it from the USA, Canada and the Netherlands. Officially because it is always possible to bypass the geographical restriction of the service from any country. If you are interested here is a tutorial to use the service with a VPN from your iPhone / iPad (also works from a computer and on Android smartphones).
1 / Use VPN to pretend you’re in the USA, Canada or the Netherlands
Access to Disneyplus.com from an IP address that is not located in one of these 3 countries is impossible. The site will offer to let you know when it is available in your country. The only solution to get around this first block is to use VPN (virtual private network for the uninitiated). This will allow you to mask your IP address by connecting to the service using another IP address located in the desired country.
For our tutorial, we will go through the ExpressVPN application which has been proven and which is also available on all platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Apple TV). ). There are of course other compatible VPNs but this software is currently a leader, the opinions available online on ExpressVPN are positive.
Once logged in (you can try ExpressVPN for free for 7 days, like the Disney + service), the application will ask you for the IP of the country you want. Select Canada.
2 / Create a Disney + account
To create your account (free for 7 days) go to DisneyPlus.com or log in if you have already done so. Depending on the hours, it can be complicated to create an account or to identify yourself.
Some info on Disney + languages
- Audio languages confirmed in the Disney US, Canada and Netherlands catalog are English, Dutch, Spanish and French.
- For exclusive programs, French is readily available, at least as a subtitle if the French is on the same date as the American release, or in French when there is the Canadian release.
3 / Create a Canadian iTunes account
- Open the App Store application on your iPhone / iPad
- Go to your profile (top right)
- Log out (or go through Settings> App Store> Profile> Logout)
- From a computer, go to the creation of a new account https://appleid.apple.com/
- Go to the site https://fr.fakenamegenerator.com/ and choose an identity that lives in Canada (if possible a large city)
- On appleid, fill in the information (with a real email address, and the information you have of your new “identity”)
- No problem for the phone number, it is not verified by sms.
- When you are asked for a payment method, choose “None” for the moment
For our Android readers, it will be necessary to create an account on the Canadian Play Store while being connected from a VPN.
4 / Payment
- Go back to your iPhone / iPad, still using the VPN.
- Purchase a dollar gift card from the US Apple Store (or Amazon US), and have the code sent to your email address.
- If you purchased your card from the Apple Store, click “Redeem” in the email you received to add it to your account. This will credit your Apple account with the amount of the card.
- Download then Open the Disney + app on your iPhone / iPad, then log in to pay for the subscription. It is of course possible to test the subscription for free for 7 days.
- Now that you have a Disney + account, you can put your Apple FR account back on your device.
NB: If you want to use the service until it arrives in France, you will need a $ 50 iTunes card (this will cost you $ 28 for a 4-month subscription).
If you already have a Paypal account in France, all you have to do is:
- Create a second paypal account located in Canada (here) then send money from your French paypal to that of Canada (with a sending between friends there is no charge).
- Then go back to your account on the Disney Plus site to add the Paypal payment method
- Add your Canadian paypal account.
- Once it has been accepted, go back to your iPhone / iPad, still using the VPN.
- Download then open the Disney + app on your iPhone / iPad.
- Log into your account and enjoy all the Disney + content.